Wednesday 15 January 2014

Final piece evaluation

Final piece
William turner inspired me when he stated “the sun is god” just before his passed away.  In my piece, I have created The Sun god illuminating a soldier (my Granddad) helping to get his freedom. I have created sun itself mixing yellow acrylic paint and PVA glue to make the sun shine which generated a vibrant look. I used a trace of sun colour for the soldier and the kukri knife to emphasise that the Sun God has spiritually given the strength and power to my Granddad. My Granddad used the blessings and fought for his freedom. This has a huge impact on my life, as now I have more freedom to explore beyond the established habitation.  For me, my Granddad is my-self in past life which engaged me to feature my Granddad in this particular piece of art work to make my whole project personal. Robert Rauschenberg’s use of faded images to emphasise the past has inspired me to use transferred techniques to give my work an aged look. I have used transparent adhesive tape for transfer technique on this final piece. I have also used collage technique and then transferred it onto my final piece to indicate the hazy memories from the past. I have contrasted the piece in half; the restriction and the freedom my granddad had experienced are divided in two different atmospheres as it was.  The right side of the piece from the viewer’s eye is the before when living in the habitation and the conflicting half, later on when the freedom to discover and explore was accomplished
I decided to use a kukri knife to explore ideas like Lucio Fontana. My Granddad used the kukri knife in a war; which gave him freedom to discover and explore new countries beyond the habitation. My Granddad has left traces of bravery in the battlefield, The Valley of the Shadow of Death. The sharp Kukri knife was a weapon of protection and the walking stick, a means of guidance and direction. In this piece I have made a big slash right in the middle using a sharp knife to divide the piece in two and also to discover/ explore the space beyond. I have also used the big black cross to illustrate death which my granddad had witnessed with his eyes a number of times.

For my next project I would like to:
Do tons of effective experiments to build up my confidence
Link all of my studies and experiments.
Plan ahead before making a big move.
Make my piece clearer to understand for the viewers.  

No comments:

Post a Comment